Sunday, January 31, 2016

Wooden Box to Wine Rack

     I have a number of those old wooden boxes, all shapes and sizes, that I've collected throughout the years. Well, my husband would say it was a ridiculous amount, but I would call it a perfect variety of future ideas. Once friends and family found out about them it seems they start collecting for me as well and that's when I realized I need to breath new life into them before it gets out of control.
     I started with this:

     I could have used one a bit smaller, but I really like the label detail on the sides of this one.
Then, using the circular cutting bit on my Dremel I measured out 3.5" circles to fit across open at the top so I can lift it out if I need to. You can just make holes, but sometimes I buy those really fat bottles that I would like to be able to set in there but wouldn't be able to pull all the way through if they weren't open.
     The result was this:
     The cuts were a little rough until I got the hang of it so I sanded the edges with 100 sandpaper. It was the first time using this attachment on my Dremel....kind of exciting!
I realized my bottles rolled around in there a little too much so I decided to use some leftover wood I had from another project to build simple walls. This you can get at Home Depot. It's 2" x 36" x .25". I cut and glued them down and to each other in the box with wood glue.

Now I can buy extra bottles of wine to have on hand. Gotta love that!



No comments:

Post a Comment